In the beginning, GOD….

In the beginning, GOD….
God spoke the heavens and earth into existence and He speaks to us still!

Saturday, January 25, 2014

I Love You

If you have been blessed with children, then you no doubt know full well the marvelous feeling of having them fall asleep in your arms. If, as am I, you are doubly blessed to have four grandchildren, then you know it is even more wonderful the second time around.

This evening I held my second oldest granddaughter beside me while all of us watched a silly little movie Bedtime Story. Snuggled there on the sofa, she would alternately hold on to my hand watching the movie, and lean over putting here arm around me and say, “I love you papa.” How could it not melt one’s heart?

What do we do that rewards us with such joy? We take over an occasional meal, spring for an even rarer group night or day out, or bring our beloved little ones a gift here and there. We wink across the table, hold them when we get them in reach and tell them we love them. On the wide scheme of things, we don’t do much in exchange for times like tonight. Tonight was special in that her affection was so sincere and generated by her.

As I considered just how touched I was by that bit of attention from her, the thought struck me: is it possible God appreciates rare times like that from us? I am certainly not suggesting that the Sovereign of the Cosmos and beyond needs anything from His creation. I do not know enough about the Supreme Being to assert any such thing. On the other hand, I do not believe it is inappropriate or demeaning to Him to ask myself these things.

Certainly, based upon all He has done for us, He should be loved by us at least as much as we receive from our own loved ones. Of all the items I listed that my wife and I do for ours, what among those does God not provide us daily? Then, add to that list the unimaginable: the gift of life itself, a celestial plan and purpose, the sacrifice of His Own Son for our redemption, the drawing of us to Him by the irresistible working of His Spirit, the gifts of grace and faith and eternal security in the hope of eternal life with Him.

As I am want to do when thoughts of this nature take hold, I look to the Scriptures. It did not take long before I had a picture that makes me comfortable with the thoughts at hand, I believe they paint a picture of our Father that undeniably, at least in my estimation, links the image of our Creator with us in the desire for intimacy. Here are just a few verses that left  me convinced.

Psalm 4:8: “In peace I will lay down and sleep, for you alone Lord, make me dwell in safety.”

Isaiah 41:13: “For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.” 

Micah 6:8: He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?”

Matthew 22:37: ‘And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.”’

Having come to the conclusion that spontaneous and sincere expressions of love from His children may please our Heavenly Father, I believe it is time for me to say the words. It is time for me to spiritually lean in to the Everlasting Arms and say, “I  love You.” I need to do it just like the little child did with and for her papa. I need to do it, for He deserves that and more and more and more. I am going to go do exactly that. As I leave you to do so, please read through the words to the following song, as they have a direct bearing on this matter. 

May our Father bless you with His fullest blessings!

Sheltered in the Arms of God

I feel the touch of hands so kind and tender.
They're leading me in the paths that I must trod.
I'll have no fear for Jesus walks beside me
For I'm sheltered in the arms of God.
So let the storms rage high,
The dark clouds rise,
They won't worry me;
For I'm sheltered safe within the arms of God.
He walks with me,
And naught of earth shall harm me,
For I'm sheltered in the arms of God.
Soon I shall hear the call from heaven's portals. Come home my child,
It's the last mile you must trod
I'll fall asleep
And wake in God's new heaven
For I'm sheltered in the arms of God.
So let the storms rage high,
The dark clouds rise,
They won't worry me;
For I'm sheltered safe within the arms of God.
He walks with me,
And naught of earth shall harm me,

For I'm sheltered in the arms of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment