In the beginning, GOD….

In the beginning, GOD….
God spoke the heavens and earth into existence and He speaks to us still!

Sunday, December 29, 2013

My Top Five Scriptures

The Word of God’s riches are truly of inestimable value. One could search them for years and continually change their list of favorite verses. That has certainly been the case for me, and I must acknowledge there are others that could quite easily move in and out of the “top five” with no harm to the overall message.These, then, will adequately serve, with the caveat above a point of consideration

        ☛“then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the   
             man became a living creature.” ~Genesis 2:7

There are several things in this verse that make it appeal to me. First, it reminds me of my very humble beginnings, being formed of the dust. Second, it tells me that there is a much more powerful force that can and did create all that is, including me. Third, my creation was different from all the others God made, in that He actually left His mark in me, by breathing into me. Finally, it tells me that I am dependent on Him for everything.

         ☛He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, “My  
             refuge and my fortress,my God, in whom I trust.”  ~ Psalm 91:1-2

I actually love the entire chapter, but going through it would take a volume, not a blog. This verse begins the supportive chapter that is full of promise. In many cases it speaks to promises given to the Christ, but it is often promises to us as well. It is very reminiscent of a bird sheltering its young. I am forever the young child of the eternal Father. The Scripture goes forward with a militaristic depiction of the Lord as my fortress.Fortress of that period were usually of stone, a number of feet thick, or earthen buttresses, also feet thick. In either case, these fortresses were impenetrable except at their weakest points, the gates. But God maintains the fortress in its entirety, and as the verse states, He is trustworthy. The gates of God’s protective edifices need no guards walking parapets, no armament or arms to propel shafts or arrows in defense. No, where God is providing shelter, those inside are protected by His very Word. That is all it takes, though I must remind myself constantly.

        ☛“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall  
             be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” ~Isaiah 9:6

This verse reveals the mechanism of the Father’s redemptive plan. Spoken here by one of God’s most reliable prophets, it should be clear the plan was in place for an extremely long time. Speaking of the birth of One bearing the titles Isaiah, speaking as an inspired agent, uses there can only be One figure this prophecy foretells: God’s Messiah. Further, the government of the future Kingdom is spelled out as being under this same divine Person.

        ☛Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”’ 
            ~John 14:6

What a marvelous, revealing statement by our Lord. It could not be more clear on how to reach the Father.  Jesus declares Himself as the way (to the Father), the truth (the Father must be worshipped in spirit and truth AND the truth sets us free) and the life (the way to eternal life). Further, He eliminates ALL other means to reach the Father, answering the age-old question, “Don’t all roads lead to God?” According to the Messiah, the answer is a definitive, authoritative and resounding NO.

        ☛“And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to 
             his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order 
             that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those 
             whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.” ~Romans 8:28-30


Okay, admittedly this is more than a verse. With the love I have for Romans 8, it could be worse. In any case, this verse serves to inform my theology. There is no specific mention of the sovereignty of God, yet it is a lesson in it. God must be sovereign to ensure “all things work together for good.” It discusses His calling and calling according to His purpose, or will. His work as the initiating, active, effective and completing agent in the salvic experience is spelled out. We are the recipients of faith and grace, as we respond to His irresistible calling. What a humbling knowledge: those who are saved are saved not by works of righteousness, not by anything we could or would do, but by His sovereign will. Amazing, amazing is His grace!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment